Friday, September 11, 2009

Baby Shower Invitations and SYFY #11

Did you ever start a project and not want to finish it? Ever just lose your enthusiasm? Well that happened to me tonight. A few weeks ago I mocked up a Baby Shower invitation, and while I was printing stuff on my 'puter the other night, something came over me (still trying to figure out what it was) and I printed off 20 invitations - 10 pink and 10 blue. No one has ordered these. No.one.

So then I started to stamp. And stamp. And stamp. It turned out I needed to stamp 60 images to make 20 cards. I used a onesie stamp from Outlines, and it was easy to make 3 distinct layers. Using the times tables from Elementary School (and you thought you'd never, ever, need those, am I right?): 3 x 20 = 60. Then I cut them all out.

Here we have all the cut-out parts. Blue + Yellow and Pink + Purple, Fortunately for me, it was a square image, so I did not go loony, though my hand did cramp after a while. Stamping and cutting - evening #1.

Evening #2, I did the layering. I stuck the bottom two layers together, and raised the top layer on Dimensionals. Please note: actually sticking down the top layer at this point was a mistake. I'll get to that in a sec. I did this 20 times. Then I stuck them all down to the card fronts and called it a night.

This morning I grabbed the humongous spool of blue ribbon and a smaller spool of pink, set them out on the table and went to the Day Job. I was all ready to go when I got home tonight. Then, we had trouble.

As I fed the ribbon under the raised image, it would not go through. Poorly placed Dimensionals. DRAT! What to do, what to do. My experience with removing a piece of card stock stuck down with Dimensionals has not been all that successful, and I was determined to NOT re-stamp all of those buggers.

Then a little light went off over my head. Lydia, from Understand Blue, had mentioned in passing the other night that Dental Floss - preferably the ribbon, but plain waxed works, too - would cleanly slice off a stuck-down layer from a card. YES!

I grabbed a length of floss and set in to dissect the card parts. I held it tightly between my hands, held down the card, and gently sawed my way past the stubborn Dimensionals.

It worked!

This is what it looked like post-sawing. (Please also notice that I printed everything on the wrong side of the card - that scored fold should be facing up. That can be our little secret, okay? Okay.)

I simply slid the ribbon where I wanted it, tied it, then put more Dimensionals on the back of the lifted up piece (I filled in the bare spots - left the old ones attached).

I would not recommend this as a PLANNED tactic, especially if you have 20 cards to make, but as a general SYFY method, it worked swimmingly!

So next time, if there ever is a next time, I will stick the top layer on AFTER I wrap the ribbon.

Here is the finished pink version ...

... and here is the finished blue one. Turns out the pale blue ribbon is really more of a minty green, but it still 'goes' okay. It's a baby color.

This is what I printed on the insides.

I made 10 of each, but there was a slight mishap with one of the pink ones when I printed the inside, and it slopped over the fold. Stoopid printer. How could 19 out of 20 come out right?! Sigh. So after all that work, I have two 5-packs of blue, one 5-pack of pink, one four-pack of pink and one single pink one that is unusable. I will GIVE it to whoever buys the 4-pack.

That's all for this evening. I have my market tomorrow (hopefully it will be done raining by then), followed by the monthly Clean Sweep and kit prep Saturday evening, and 2 of my 3 workshops are Sunday. I'll get my market update in some time this weekend ... AND ... I plan to resurrect the Under-Appreciated Holiday Challenge this week.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)