Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Time to Make the Buckeyes

I waited too long this year to make these. I usually start in November, but, well, I lost track of time this year. I thought I'd show you the process I described back here.

**My usual disclaimer: I took these one-handed and in not-so-good light, so I apologize in advance for the condition of the photos.

After you follow the steps in that other post for mixing the butter + PB + Vanilla extract + powdered sugar, you end up with a huge bowl of this stuff:

It doesn't look like much right now, but just wait!

I started the paraffin & chocolate melting in a double boiler:

... then I rolled that vat of "dough" into this tower of balls:

The chocolate is almost melty enough:

Once it's mostly smooth, you take one of the PB concoction balls and put it on the spoon:

... then you roll it around until coated:

Let most of the excess chocolate run out of the spoon, then place the coated ball onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper:

Here are the first 35:

You take that sheet to a large, flat surface (I left my long table up after this weekend's classes), slide the wax paper onto the table:

... then repeat. This recipe makes about 15 dozen, so that's 5 cookie sheets of 35, plus a few more.

There is no way I have room in my fridge for all of these, so I went ahead and packed up a bunch of them. Here is a box I made up for a co-worker who saved my behind yesterday while I was home being a slug:

I even tied it with a bow:

This is the box each of my boys will be getting in their care packages:

I love that the USPS invented Flat Rate shipping boxes. These things are HEAVY.

I have a small bowl left after packing all that, which is why I usually make multiple batches, but not this year. That small bowl will go to my mechanic and his staff for taking such good care of me this year. I love those guys!

In other news, while making these this morning, my window screens were attacked by a crazy squirrel. If any of those pics came out, I'll share them with you.

Happy Tuesday, and stay warm!

3 comments:

  1. Not a big PB fan, but wow...those look YUM!! You said Flat Rate, right? When can I expect some? Heehee! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. That more than I do. I just don't bake. I will cook you an 8 course dinner, but I don't bake.
    Although, since Eric's folks and sister will be here, I may enlist their help in making sugar cookies.
    Or not.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)