Saturday, July 28, 2012

As A Card Morphs

Most of you stampers know about this morphing phenomenon, where you start out to make one thing and something completely different comes out. I thought since this card took me a week to make, and rose from the ashes of several failed projects, it might be fun to show you the process. Caution: no one knows how my mind works, and it's probably best we leave it that way.

Let us begin. First, the finished card, so you'll know where we're going:


It all started when I watched this video by Claudine Hellmuth, wherein she shows us how to use her paints to color an embossed image on sticky-back canvas. I thought I could do this. I was wrong. But along the way, all sorts of things came out.

I began by rescuing a long-neglected package of SU canvas tags. I know, I know, they aren't sticky-back canvas, but I thought I'd try them anyway. And since they were just collecting dust, I had nothing to lose, right? I stamped the Hero Arts Antique Brocade image in Versamark onto the canvas pieces and heat-embossed them with clear EP. I then put some paint onto my craft mat and used pieces of cut & dry foam to gently apply the paint to the embossed image. Blech. Look:

I was too heavy-handed. I think these will end up as background pieces, or maybe pretty trash.

I then moved on to the good stuff: sticky-back canvas. I embossed the same image over it, but this time, instead of using paint I went to my trusty pearlized sprays I made a while back with my Distress reinkers and Perfect Pearls. I spritzed the piece of embossed canvas and this is what came out:

It's purty and shimmery. It sat on my desk all week.

Today I was determined to use it and get it off my desk. I looked to my right and saw an old sketch from Deconstructed Sketches. I print these out and stack them on the side of my desk, and they are easy to grab when I need a piece of scrap paper to use for applying embossing powder or to smooth over a background stamp. This one got used a lot:

I finally looked at it as a sketch (ahem) and decided to use it. Here's the actual sketch:

 and I turned it sideways:


And the trimming began. I cut the sticky-back canvas piece into a tag shape, and decided it needed to be dressed up. I started to harvest things off my desk and the finished tag ended up like this:

I added a piece of lace to the bottom, but it was pretty wide, so I cut off the top edge of it. I added a piece of the failed painted canvas from above, because I could. Then I wrapped some pink (gah, I know) twine around it in an attempt to make it look artsy-fartsy. I then took the trimmed-off piece of lace and threaded it through a hole in the top of the tag. That rolled flower came later.

I next decided to use a mystery piece of Bermuda Bay card stock and cut it into strips for the sketch:


These started out at 3/4" wide, and there were three of them. At one point I embossed a background stamp onto the strips, then opted for plain card stock instead. They finally ended up at 1/2", or maybe 3/8", and I was running out of pieces, so one became 1/8". I hope it looks like I meant to do that.

It was about this time that I felt I needed a round element, and that's when the rolled flower came to be. I really like it, too! :)

Last: a sentiment. I decided this was too shimmery and froo-froo for a snarky sentiment, though sometimes that's the best time to use one. :) Instead, I went to my almost-never-used MFT Pearls of Wisdom set and selected this one:

I'm not much into sappy sentiments, but this one is passable, and I think it works with the rest of the card.

Once again, the finished product:

Thanks for sticking around through that tome. It just took me so... long ... to make this that I felt the burning need to share.

I'm going back in for more. Let's hope it takes me less than a week to make the next one. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. It turned out really well, even if it did take forever. I like the subtle pattern on the tag.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)