Monday, August 20, 2012

Scrappy Masculine Birthday

Happy Monday, everyone! I thought I'd start off the week by sharing a masculine card I made last night:

I'm quite proud of this for several reasons. First, that piece of dotted paper has been hanging around in my pile of undone sketches for a while, and I decided it needed to disappear. That piece of paper started this card.

Under that piece of paper was this sketch from The Friday Mash-Up:

I liked it because it reminds me of a typical "Leslie" card of days gone by, and also because I could use that piece of paper as the background. Done.

Next, I went in search of remnants to match the paper. This paper was released with the first SU In Color batch back in 2007. Luckily, as a hoarder, and because I loved all the colors that year, I have all of it: card stock, ribbon, ink .. uh-huh. Everything you see here is a remnant - no virgin card stock was sacrificed to make this card, which makes it all the sweeter.

I embossed the white layer to make it less boring ... er, to give it some interest:

Then, even though I said the other day that you don't need to cut a whole matching ribbon-ended layer for your sentiment, I needed to this time, because I used different whites for the elements and they didn't match. But when I use the same white for both pieces, I'm totally going to use the "spot of color" and not mess with fussy-cutting those ends.

Also, check out that handsome star thing I used instead of the flower (masculine = no flowers). It was made using these:

... which I picked up in a moment of retail therapy. They are a little bigger than I thought they'd be, and I almost didn't use the larger "tag" layer, but the card needed some More Mustard, and it was done. In the detail shot above, you can see the tiny dimensional adhesive I used under the opening in the tag to hold it up. Since it's also sticky, I stuck a pearl to it and didn't bother negotiating with a brad. If I'd been thinking clearly, I'd have used a real brad before I stuck down the layers to the card front. Instead, I was forced to come up with Plan B, and I think it looks better this way, anyway. Pffth, like I had a choice.

I'm headed out to work today, but it's a short work week for me, after which I'll either be crafty or tipsy (not sure which ... maybe both!) with my pal Lisa, and it sure will be fun either way!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. My vote would be for crafty AND tipsy. Although I do find my colouring suffers...I mean, I'm more loose & free with the rules, man.
    Those dies are intriguing - only the largest one has the tag end...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lisa's on the east coast??!?!? tell her i say ♥♥♥HI♥♥♥ and have a BLAST you guys, i'm with jessi, go for tipsy AND crafty!

    ps: AWESOME card, missus!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that star totally matches the fab background paper - great job! Thanks for playing along with the Friday Mashup this week!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)