Monday, September 3, 2012

Last Gasp

I am NOT ready to go back to work tomorrow. Nope. Not at all, though my back might thank me if I take a break from all this stampin'. :)

Once again, I bring you a week-old challenge, this time from The Paper Players:

And it's a good thing it's a week old, because I won't have to worry about being disqualified by my interpretation of the sketch. Here's my card:

 I was kinda hoping this FABulous paper design would do the work of the top and bottom sketch elements for me, so I could focus on the center. I cut the big flower out of cork, which was actually the first thing I did. The rest of this card was built around the cork flower. Why cork? Because the September Paper Crafts Gallery Challenge is to use something natural on your card, that's why.

The papers from the Memory Box Valise pack are soooo yummy. Gotta love the Kraft theme. I cut the three petals out of a red piece and put one under the cork and two over, then I curled up the ends of the top two.

Let me tell you something about the cork ... this isn't the really thin stuff that cuts like buttah. This stuff is thick and I needed to use a steel-ruled die to cut it. Also, once cut, it's very fragile. I almost severed a few petals. To ensure no dismemberment would happen later, like as I took the photo (I might be exaggerating, a little), each petal was carefully lifted and a dot of Glossy Accents was applied to secure it. It's not going anywhere.

Here's some detail of the flower:

I think it's purty.

Okay, then, I'm calling it a night, and I've shut down The Captain's Quarters.  I think a hot bath might be in order before bed. However, I cannot think of a better way to spend three days than at the craft table, can you? :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe
Stamps: None!
Paper: Memory Box Valise, SU Kraft
Other: Misc cork, SU Flower Fusion Sizzlet, SU Blossom Party, Recollections pearl, Corner Chomper, Glossy Accents

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous cards Leslie, just gorgeous! I am back to work on Wednesday after I drop the kiddos off for the first day of school and dreading every minute of it...my sympathies are with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's purty, too! beautiful, in fact! and i'd be SHOCKED if you were disqualified... that is THE MOST AWESOME take imaginable on that sketch!!! ♥looooove♥ it!!! (but not too loudly in case it hurts the cork petals, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, you wouldn't be disqualified, I love how the paper did the work! Beautiful cork flower too. 3 days at the card table was amazing! Wish I could figure out how that would pay the bills. Life would be grand, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)