Monday, September 3, 2012

Neon - Yikes!

I don't know what came over me, but get your sun glasses, man. This one is bright!

When I saw the Clean & Simple sketch:

I decided to use my neglected Many Dots Hero Arts set with my three HA Neon Inks. I may or may not have ordered the other three colors, but they aren't here yet, so I had to get creative for the green and the purple. For those, I used my Color Box Queue:

The green and purple were perfect stand-ins, and as an added bonus, because they are pigment inks, I got to emboss them. Lookie:

I did plain old heat embossing for the circle, which I managed to mostly center in a Nestabilities circle die, but for the butterfly (Studio Calico veneer) I did the heat + emboss + repeat. I held the center with my tweezers, then after I heated it, I dipped it right back into the EP for another coat. This has three or four coats.  I lost track, as I was distracted by a mis-directed heat gun that blew across the open vat of EP. Let me just say I sure hope there isn't a heat wave any time soon - my carpet will be slick! GAH!

Oh, and for my last trick, check out that handsome coordinating green edge on the card:


Isn't is amazing how it matches the green ink? heh heh Lacking matching paper, I just did direct-to-paper along the edges of the base with the green ink and dried it with the heat gun. I even like that it's not perfectly smooth. It has character. :) And it didn't even have to be evenly applied, as it got covered up with my top layer.

I went back and added some pearls to fill up the white space (me and white space - meh). I colored them with my Copic YG23, which I declared to be really really really close to the green ink. Um, please ignore the green pearl on the pink circle. I had attempted to disguise my poor stamping, but I think I've just drawn attention to it, instead. Also, it looks like a confused olive.

Hey, this is Hero Arts and it has embossing, so I think it qualifies for the current A Blog Named Hero challenge. Bonus!

In other news, Tropical Storm Leslie is mixing things up in the Caribbean, but unless she turns left, I don't think she'll do much damage. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some embossing powder to clean up.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! I love the bright card - especially the purple butterfly!! I need to get some of those neon inks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolol you just crack me up! Between my now black embossed bathroom counters and your carpet- yeesh! LOVE this card...so cheery! *snort* confused olive lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAH!!!!! Love it so much Leslie!!!! Just look at all that neon awesomeness!!!! And that confused olive is the best, ha!!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was thinking of you this weekend, when i saw TS les being discussed, lol! all things considered, i think i'd plump for a mild hurricane over a massive EP spill, yeeeeeouch! :(

    oh yeah THE CARD!!! it is ♥GORGEOUS♥ one of the best of the sudden spate of neon ones i've seen... not to mention the coolest version ever of that fab C&S sketch! you were totally ON A ROLL this weekend!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great take on the sketch-I'd love for you to link up at 52 Card Pickup this week!

    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/09/52-card-pickup-week-36.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)