Sunday, March 31, 2013

Scrappy Birthday

I'm still in full avoidance mode. This time I pulled a UFO off my desk and made a card with it:

The remnant here is really a second generation remnant. You see, I had stamped and embossed the Hero Arts Lattice background on a piece of white and hadn't used it. No, really, it's there. See:

You can also see that at some point I tried to use the embossed background by stamping the Hero Arts Clouds background stamp over the top half of it with Distress Broken China. Unfortunately I missed most of the center section, so I set it aside again, thus making it a second generation remnant.

Tonight I grabbed it and decided it just needed a large sentiment to mask the unstamped part, so only the edges would show and it would look like I meant to do that.

Here it is again, since I've blathered at you past the fold:

I added a piece of washi tape as a border between the stamped and unstamped sections, colored the SU sentiment with the (mostly) same colors, and went overboard and added twine in all three colors, too. I think it will pass for a boy's birthday card, don't you?

Okay, I'm going back in to try to maybe pack some stuff, unless I'm distracted by another UFO that needs some love.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: SU Happiest of Birthdays stamp set (retired), Whisker Graphics Divine Twine, red card stock remnant.

Creative Avoidance, Part 324

Today I'm supposed to be catching up with "things", including laundry and packing my crafty belongings to take with me next week. The first thing I did was go into The Captain's Quarters, look around, and then I started making tags for my stamp bins. No, that was not on my list.  Yes, it has taken me all. day.

So let's begin. I was smart enough to know I'd screw up at the end, and I took pictures as I went so I'd have something to share for my day of toil and sweat.

First, I took four wooden tags and painted them with four different Distress paints:

This is actually side two. I blotted the ink on with the applicator so it looks like this:

because the first side looked like this :


Then I chose the perfect washi tape to use:

And put a piece on each tag:

Then it was time for the letters. I'd planned to put the first letter on the washi tape, then space the rest of the word out over the tag. Mostly they didn't fit at all, so I ended up with this:

I can live with it. It's ART, right? Oh, and I meant to do that.

Next, I needed to seal it all so it stayed put, and I chose to use glossy matte medium. What a mess. But it's sealed, you'll just have to trust me.

Here are the finished tags in their new homes:

I almost didn't include that last one, since it's my least-favorite of the bunch. However, it's a great example of why I will never be a mixed media artist. Nope, I'm sticking to paper and ink, man. It's way less messy, plus with mixed media you have to wait for stuff to dry, and I'm a most impatient person.

Since I'm incapable of making anything that resembles a decision, as of right now all four of those boxes will accompany me on my craft trip. This is also why I drive.

I did make two cards today, too, but that post will have to wait for later next week. They may involve washi tape, though. Just sayin'.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not included below: wooden tags, twine by Timeless Twine, Doodlebug Jack & Jill beetle black alphabet stickers.