Tuesday, July 16, 2013

SOS #110 - Weirdest Card Supply Purchase

It's Tuesday, and time for another challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week we ask you to use your weirdest crafty purchase -- something you bought and intended to use on a card. You know you've done it. You see something and your brain says, "OMG THAT WOULD BE SO COOL ON A CARD", then you get home and it lands in the "WHAT WAS I THINKING" pile/box/closet/room. This happens to me A LOT, so naturally I have much from which to choose.

I have lots of things: Dollar Bin "finds", mini cupcake paper liners, a bamboo mat (?!), bunches of paper flowers not designed to be used on a card, things from the hardware store, etc. But I think the weirdest thing I've purchased was a bag of sock monkey brads. Yes, I said sock monkey brads. Why? I have no idea. However, I might be responsible for coming up with this challenge idea, if only to force myself to use the things.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:


Sock. Monkeys. I think they're for kids, but then I also think that's odd since they're kinda scary. I've never owned one. The only thing I could think to do with them, though, was make a birthday card for a kid, so there you have it.

Here's a close-up of the little buggers:


I used some washi tape to ground them. The balloon "strings" were cut using the Impression Obsession Heart Balloon die (linked below, sans image) since it was easier than tying strings. Almost everything else on this card is from remnants, including the piece of yellow twine. Oh, and did you notice I scored two lines at the bottom? You can kinda see one of the score lines above the twine in that close-up shot.

Now it's your turn. Go into your stash and pull out something you thought you'd use on a card and USE it. The weirder the better! Then come back to Shopping Our Stash to link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: Lil' Inker balloon dies, misc dot washi tape, misc twine, paper remnants, and the following:
(No, I don't know why the image doesn't show for the Heart Balloon die, but the link works.)



8 comments:

  1. SOCK MONKEY... (Sorry, channeling that Pier One Commercial from last year, which you wouldn't have seen so is pointless on my part but there you go.) I find them scary as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is cute but sock monkeys give me the heebie jeebies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you could send this to Carol Duval. I always think of her when I see sock monkeys. Honestly I have always thought they were creepy...very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, Sock Monkey brads......REALLY!?
    I don't like them either, although your card is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, the close up? CREEPY! And I *like* sock monkeys! Agh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those little guys are adorable!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, see, i think they're adorable, and the card is awesome. but yeah, sometimes i need a challenge that's specifically formed around making myself use a particular item. which is why i have my own xmas card blog, lol! :) :) :) oof! "sock monkee xmas"!!!! gotta do that next, just for you!!! (kidding. but still. how funny would that be?!) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also bought some of those sock monkey brads!! I think the stuffed sock monkeys are so cute and even bought one for my dog, which he promptly shredded. Thanks for an idea on how to use them.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)