Saturday, June 7, 2014

SCS VSN Challenge

Helloooo! I'm hostessing a challenge for the current Virtual Stamp Night (VSN) over at Splitcoast. The VSN happens several times throughout the year, and this is how it works:

Once the VSN is announced, people submit ideas for the theme. If chosen, you get to host one of the challenges.

During VSN, for a specified period of time (6-9 pm EDT on Friday, and 1-8 pm EDT on Saturday), a challenge is posted every hour. Each challenge follows the main theme, but has its own twist.

You have one hour to complete each challenge. Some people do them real-time, and play, post, repeat. Some people do them when they can throughout the weekend, and just upload to the galleries by the deadline. You are on the honor system for the one hour thing. And thinking doesn't count against your time unless otherwise stated in a specific challenge's post. :)

So, the main theme for this VSN is Summer Vacation, and here is the Master Thread where all the challenges are posted together. It's updated every hour. There are also individual posts for each challenge.

My challenge is to make a card using hills. I used to take my kids on vacation every year (until they got too old and too busy), and two vacations jumped out me while thinking of a possible topic. I thought about our trip to New England where we drove up Mt Washington in New Hampshire. I also thought about our trip to Colorado, where we could see Pike's Peak from our hotel lobby. Thus, my challenge to use hills or mountains in your creation.

Here's my card:


Aside from cutting the hills with various dies, this was a very easy card to make. I say that because I managed to mess up several of the cuts. No, really.

I colored the trees with Copics, and cut the house out of Kraft card stock so it would stand out against that sky. The sky was made by sponging blue ink over a cloud die-cut. So easy to do. I actually have cloud papers, but they were too busy, and this gave me the subtle look I wanted.

My biggest challenge was getting that sentiment lined up. It's a wood stamp, so no see-through for me! I first stamped it on vellum, but thought it looked dumb. I was sooooo sure if I stamped it on the card I'd mess up, after all that hard work, but I used the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, closed my eyes, and ... ta-da! I got it straight! Go, me!

My last act was adding in the obligatory three birds. Hey, it's what I do.

Now, I think you should come on over to Splitcoast and play along with some of our Summer Vacation challenges!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: A*Muse cloud die-cut, A*Muse sentiment, SU 2-way glue pen, and the following:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)