Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wow, That's Fantastic!

I love a good pun, especially if it's not a moaner. When I first saw the WTF stamp set from CAS-ual Fridays, I knew it needed to come live with me.  I pulled it out yesterday to make this card:


I know, it looks crooked, but I somehow managed to stamp my inked acrylic block so the entire  upper right corner didn't hit the paper. Sigh.

I used the same technique here as in the post where I think I invented something. I followed the technique we learned in the Online Card Class: Water Color for Card Makers. You first ink an acrylic block with Versamark, then you ink over that with Distress inks. Spritz the ink on the block, then stamp it onto water color card stock. You can let that air dry or use your heat tool to dry it.

My change was I left the acrylic block on the water color card stock and let it mostly dry before I picked it up. I figured if I liked the look of the ink through the acrylic block when I first stamp it, why not leave it like that? If you pick the block up while it's still drippy wet, you'll get a different look, which is also fine, but not want I wanted.

ANYway, I used Distress mini ink pads in Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, and Picked Raspberry. Once the ink had dried on the paper, I stamped the sentiments in Archival black ink. Then I went a little nuts.

I masked off the sides of the water color paper where there was no ink, then I spritzed the inked area with homemade pearlized water*. Once that dried I put the panel onto a Hero Arts card base, then went to work with sequins. I probably added waaaaay too many, but this is a celebration card, and it's okay if it's over-the-top a bit.

You can kindof see the shimmer here:



All those splotches are shiny in real life. I also added a drop of Distress Clear Rock Candy Stickles to the center of each of the sequins, mostly to cover the holes, but also because I was in over-do-it mode, so why not?

And yes, I added the comma to the second part of the sentiment. I know you're not too surprised by that. :)

I hope to be back later with something else to share. Thanks for stopping by!

* Pearlized water, learned from Jennifer McGuire either online or from a class I took from her. Take a mister and fill it about 3/4 of the way with water. Using either a scrap of paper or a straw or the end of a paint brush (you get the idea), scoop up some of the Perfect Pearl powder and put it into the mister. You can add a lot or a little, so I'd suggest starting with one scoop, then playing around with it. Drop in a pearl or a bead or something to use to mix it. Cap it and shake shake shake, then it's ready to spritz. Make sure to shake it each time you use it, as the powder settles and needs to be redistributed (thus, the pearl/bead inside). Tip #1: You can add the powder to any color mist you've made. Tip #2: Glue a pearl to the top of your misters to which you've added the powder so you know it's pearlized. Trust me, a month from now you won't remember. :)

Stuff I used: misc sequins, and the following:



4 comments:

  1. YOU are a genius! That is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love over the top cards so this one is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the shiney bits on your card. It is Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, LOVE THIS, the color, the sentiment... EVERYTHING about this is FAB. & for the record, there's no such thing as "too many" sequins!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)