Saturday, January 24, 2015

Shaker Clocks

During my recent crafty play date, I played (hahaha) with a borrowed Clock Shaker Card die, and I made this:


First I die-cut the clock out of both red and white, trying to get the die mostly centered on the white panel. I cut a piece of acetate just smaller than the white panel and stuck it to the back. Then I added the red clock and the white piece at the top (under the handle) to the front of the card, sticking them to the acetate.

Next I cut a piece of white fun foam just smaller than the white panel, cut out the center to expose the clock face, and taped it to the acetate with Tombow extreme adhesive.

I cut another white panel, added the clock hands, and glued on a few pieces of glitter. With the card panel face down, I added some more glitter hearts & stars to the hole in the fun foam, then glued on the white panel to seal it all up. 

After that, I didn't have to be careful of all that glitter, so I mounted the thing onto a teal/green layer and put the whole thing onto a white card base. I stuck on some bells I'd cut from foil paper, and the "T" thing (for shutting off the alarm).

I knew I had the perfect sentiment at home in my Hero Arts All The Time stamp set, so I added that after I got home.

The colors I used here, including the blue & yellow glitter hearts and stars were based on the still-current Always Playing With Paper challenge:



While I was making this card, I muttered that it would be cool if there was (were?) a coordinating clock face to use with the shaker die. And THERE IS! The Hero Arts All The Time stamp set has a clock face with Roman numerals, so after I got home I made this version:


The story of this card is mostly the same as the first one. I did have to trim down the clock face hands since the stamped circle is smaller than the opening of the die, but I like them stumpy like that. I think the stamped clock face makes a huge difference in the look of the shaker.

The fun thing about this version is I only put in blue and iridescent glitter, but they still look pink or red depending on the light. The hearts I stuck in the 'o's of the sentiment are actually pink.

I'm still debating if I need this shaker die or not. I'll have it on hand until next month, so maybe if I make a few more of these I'll get it out of my system. Maybe.

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Leslie, these are as cute as can be!!! Love the teal on here and the one with the clock face inside is precious. Sounds like you have the hang of doing those shakers! Two great cards!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh I love that die!!! Super cool shaker clocks!! Love the one with the roman numeral clock face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun die, and your cards are adorable. Not sure which one I like better...maybe the blue...I kinda have a thing for roman numerals...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that die for a few weeks. You've inspired me!!! Dusting it off now. Love your cards, and that Hero Arts/OWH stamp set is the perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER fun shaker, clever take of the colors and so glad that you shared with us at The Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE your cards! I wanted to let you know that I’ve chosen your creations as one of my Favorite Picks and linked back to your blog! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. Kathy at stampsatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cards are adorable, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute cards! I love your twist on the shaker card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That die makes a fun design for sure, but how many shaker clocks does one need to make in their lifetime? Sometimes it is so hard trying to decide how much you "need" something! I like both your cards but you are right that a clock face is a positive addition. I think arrow confetti would be fun (and confusing) to put in as shaker material.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)