Tuesday, September 1, 2015

SOS #217: Put A Bird On It

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Put A Bird On It, and we'd like to see a bird on your project.

I will admit the phrase "put a bird on it" came to me via somewhere on the interwebz. You see, it turns out it's from something called Portlandia, which is/was a tv show, probably during the 8 years I didn't own or watch tv. Just consider me out of touch with anything older than 1979, and you'll get the picture.

So somewhere along the line I saw this video:




and it stuck in my brain. It's silly, but you know what? Sometimes putting a bird on a project actually does work, so here we are. :)

Here's my card for this week's challenge:


I used my neglected Alley Way Birds of a Feather stamp set for da bird. I actually had three or four false starts with my Tim Holtz Bird Crazy birds, but one at a time they hit the trash, so I went digging in my Birds section for something, and rediscovered this set. I like that three or four of the birds in this set look dumbfounded enough to use with snarky sentiments. :)

I had this dream of blending the bird from green to blue, but that didn't happen. I think my colors were too close together. I used the fabulous Hex Color chart designed by Sandy Allnok. It's a Copic color chart in order by color, not by number, so you can get a really good idea of which markers go together (even from different color groups). If you aren't familiar with this chart, please do go watch the video later.

So anyway, I was going for green-to-blue but ended up with a nice blend of blue-green. I'm not unhappy with it. I added some silver embossed dots to the background (it was so white), and added some black glaze pen to his eyes. And of course a piece of washi tape to anchor the little fellow.

The sentiment was in a box of unlabeled foam-backed stamps, so I have no idea who made it, sorry! I've had it a really long time.

So, got some bird stamps that haven't seen the light of day for a while? Why not dig some out, use them, then link up over at Shopping Our Stash!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: sentiment from unknown source, washi tape from Teresa Collins Far & Away collection, vat of clear embossing powder, and the following:




9 comments:

  1. oh my gosh this is just adorable, love the snarky saying and the use of the washi tape (still challenged here) Love to read your blog I giggle all the way through, reminds me we all have "struggles" creating, I also have some nameless foam stamps, they are ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute image and design! At least you were able to bring this struggle to a beautiful conclusion!
    Nicely done!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little bird is too cute. Love the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. That bird DOES look dumbfounded. But I love how you colored it and also the simple design of your card! That IS one great snarky sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice CAS card! Forget the bird, I need that hex chart! I'd love to make a card with a bird... I'd love for my desk to magically put back together... I'd love to magically get an A in Biology without having to do anything. That's not asking too much is it?!! It's not like I asked for a cheesecake that won't make my ass fat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute, and great sentiment. I don't have a many bird stamps...maybe one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i *LOVE* that bird, i'm pretty sure he was the inspiration for the expression "bird brained" lol!!! perfect CAS home for him as well! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK so maybe I am not the grandest fan of birds...but your bird stamp, I adore! How freakin cute is he??? And I love the slightly (he he) snarky sentiment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sentiment, and you're right that this bird is perfect for it. I am feeling a little sorry for your poor TH birds, though. Hmm, now I'm very last-minute for this challenge...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)